Christian life & practice
Courage To Be Different, Strength To Remain The Same
A forceful exhortation to Orthodox Christians to uphold the uniqueness of their traditions and not to be overly influenced by the surrounding Roman Catholic and/or Protestant religious cultures of Western countries.
- AvailablePaperback9780884650683104 pages
Beginning with an appeal to live a Christian life, the writer goes on to explain how we should conduct ourselves in happiness, misfortune, wealth, poverty, illness and so forth. All this is described as we are taken through a standard day from waking up in the morning until retiring to bed.
- AvailablePaperback9780884650898150 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653677150 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653660150 pages
This edition offers a collection of chapters from his classic work "The Spiritual Exercises", translated into English from a Russian edition. Chapters include "On the Greatness of the Divine Eucharist.", "The Denial of Peter" and "Our Sins and Ingratitude Towards God."
- AvailablePaperback978088465138395 pages
The Life of Father Ilarion
Psalm 111:6 reminds us that "in everlasting remembrance shall the Righteous be." This book celebrates this injunction in its vivid portrayal of a modern elder of the Russian Orthodox Church and monk of the Glinsk monastery.
- AvailablePaperback9780884651895216 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652304216 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652076216 pages
An Introduction to Christian Life
This introduction to what it means to be a Christian appeals both to the heart and mind of its readers. Its timelessness and universality are beyond dispute as it has been in print continually in English for sixty years and for nearly 180 years in its original Aleut and then Russian language editions. This new edition includes "Points for Reflection" that can be used both by an individual reader and for a group study.
Click here for further information.
- AvailablePaperback978088465303596 pages
- AvailableKindle978088465305996 pages
- AvailableEPUB978088465003496 pages
Asceticism in a Modern Secular Society
Archbishop Averky addresses head on the question, “What is asceticism?” He counters the many false understandings that exist and shows that the practice of authentic asceticism is integral to the spiritual life and the path to blessed communion with God.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653738194 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653752194 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653745194 pages
The Three Hundred Year History of a Russian Orthodox Church in London
A fascinating look at the Russian Orthodox Church abroad through the lens of one imperial embassy church turned self-supporting parish. This history offers perspectives on modern English and European history from the vantage point of a little known minority community, supported by translations of primary sources not found anywhere else.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653363755 pages
- AvailableHardback9780884653813755 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653837755 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653820755 pages
Lenten Homilies of Saint John of Kronstadt
For the first time a selection of St John's Lenten sermons is presented in English translation. They follow the thematic structure of the Lenten season in the Orthodox Church, from the Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee through to Great and Holy Friday. A sermon for St Thomas Sunday, that follows Holy Pascha, is offered as an Epilogue.
To order the Kindle edition click here.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653844230 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653943218 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653936218 pages
Spiritual Advice for Daily Living
Abbess Arsenia’s counsels are steeped in Holy Scripture and in the inspiration that she draws from the services of the Orthodox Church. Throughout, she emphasizes the need to humble oneself, discern the will of God, and fulfill it through every moment of our life.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653974110 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884654148110 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884654131110 pages
Are we willing to respond to the challenge of a life lived in accordance with the Christian Gospel? St Ignatius' writing is the Christian tradition at its deepest, intensely practical but also transcendent and mystical. For further details click here.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653769374 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884654537374 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884654513374 pages
Stories of Unexpected Grace
In a manner reminiscent of the bestselling "Everyday Saints" these tales by renowned author Olesia Nikolaeva eveal a common theme - the subtle, sometimes imperceptible movement of Divine Providence at work in the lives of saints and sinners alike.
- AvailablePaperback9780884654230320 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884654674320 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884654667320 pages
Conforming the Will of Man to the Will of God
Saint John addresses fundamental questions: Why should we care about God’s will ? What are the benefits in following His will? How do we avoid common obstacles to living in accordance with His will? The reader will find practical and eternal wisdom running through these writings that discuss the perennial questions of why a good God permits evil. This is the first English edition of St John’s text, edited and abbreviated for the contemporary reader.
- AvailablePaperback9780884654605352 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884654698352 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884654704352 pages
On Acquiring Peace Amidst Suffering
St Ignatius Brianchaninov (1807-1867) struggled with chronic illness and disability through most of his adult life. Thus his own life experience disposed him to reflect on the meaning of suffering and how through it we might find “a harbor for our hope.” His letters, excerpted and organized here thematically, will equally benefit all who suffer.
- AvailablePaperback9780884654223200 pages