Orthodox & Oriental Churches
of the Holy Eastern Orthodox Catholic and Apostolic Church
Nikolai Gogol was one of the most prominent Russian writers of the 19th century. He was also a deeply religious man, who dedicated one of his last works to the Divine Liturgy of the Orthodox Church. This book provides a commentary on the Divine Liturgy, which is at the same time both mystical and practical. Drawing from the early Church Fathers and his own experience, Gogol explains the sublime mystery of the Liturgy.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653431128 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653622128 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653639128 pages
and the Rule of St. Elizabeth the New Martyr
This short work sets forth in the Grand Duchess's own words her vision for monastic life in inner city early twentieth century Moscow. Of interest to all who have a concern for the poor and outcasts of society. Well illustrated with black and white photos.
- AvailablePamphlet978088465045454 pages
This book begins with a discussion of the nature and origin of Divine services. It then reviews the building in which these are performed, the articles used and offers an outline of the varying services, concluding with an overview of the texts employed.
- AvailablePaperback9780884650676176 pages
The Orthodox Church and Russian Nationalism before the Revolution
Grounded in original research, this study is intended to reveal the wider relevance of its topic to an ongoing discussion of the relationship between national or ethnic identities on the one hand and the self-understanding of Orthodox Christianity as a universal and transformative Faith on the other.
- AvailablePaperback9781942699279356 pages
- Out of printPaperback9780884653295339 pages
- Out of printHardback9780884653462339 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653479339 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653486339 pages
Spiritual Counsels of the Holy Elders of Optina
The Optina monastery, south of Moscow, was in many ways the greatest spiritual center of nineteenth-century Russia. Here we are offered wisdom from the Elders of that time in the form of pithy thoughts organized thematically under headings.
- AvailableHardback9780884650928205 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653691205 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653684205 pages
Spiritual Instruction from St Anatoly (Zertsalov) of Optina
This work includes three hundred and eighty-two letters of spiritual counsel from the Optina Elder Hieroschemamonk Anatoly (Zertsalov). Written in a tone that is both firm and tender, they are the words of a caring father for his spiritual children These letters, while originally addressed to nuns, can be applied with profit to all Christians, both monastic and lay. This digital edition includes four photos as well as the life of St. Anatoly, a glossary, an index of topics, and a table of letters.
- AvailableEPUB9780884654179308 pages
- Currently not availableKindle9780884654209308 pages
Principles for the Christian Journey
In this short but incisive treatise, formerly published as On the Law of God, the reader is guided on a spiritual journey that begins with the awakening of conscience and the realization of the presence of both sin and virtue in the world, culminating in a union with God: that is “a living, personal relationship with the one we love.”
- AvailablePaperback9780884654438176 pages
Satisfying the Thirst for Happiness
In this classic early twentieth century text a little known Russian philosopher and theologian addresses the question of how one obtains happiness, peace and joy; and offers answers rooted in the tradition of the Orthodox Christian East and the lives of its sainted Christian men and women. More Information.
- AvailablePaperback9780884651871280 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652311280 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884651994280 pages
The story of one of Russia's best known "fools for Christ," is followed by testimonies to her many miracles. The question of the time of her birth and death and the construction of the Chapel by her grave in the Smolensk cemetery in St. Petersburg is also discussed.
- Out of printPamphlet978088465000379 pages
An accessible and well organized synthesis of the ancient Christian understanding of death and the afterlife. Drawing primary from the Greek language writings of the Fathers it does not neglect the Latin sources. It will benefit all who desire to understand the classical Christian teaching of what lies beyond our temporal life.
- AvailablePaperback9780884654773290 pages
- Currently not availableEPUB9780884654834
For Study at Home and School
The classic textbook designed for parents to teach their children "all the fundamental points of the Orthodox Christian faith and way of life." Well illustrated with photographs and icons.
- AvailableHardback9780884650447651 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653578651 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653561651 pages
Counsels on the Particular Duties of Every Christian
Saint Tikhon of Zadonsk gives his counsel on living the Christian life. It touches many areas from "Love of God" to "The Way of Duty". The translator writes: "I have found this book to repay each reading with refreshment of spirit and a strengthened resolve to lead a Christian life."
- AvailablePaperback9780884650461279 pages