RELIGION / Christianity / Orthodox
The Oxford Movement and a Quest for Orthodoxy
A fascinating account of a failed "journey to Orthodoxy" within the context of the nineteenth century Oxford Movement of the Anglican Church. It recounts the story of William Palmer, a member of that movement, and details in particular his two trips to Russia in the 1840s and his meeting and correspondence with the great lay theologian Khomiakoff.
- AvailablePaperback9781942699378384 pages
Holy Trinity Monastery
The spiritual center of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad comes alive in this short booklet featuring approx. 150 full-color images spanning the 87-year history of Holy Trinity Monastery.
- Out of printPaperback978088465459932 pages
Embassy, Emigrants, and Englishmen
The Three Hundred Year History of a Russian Orthodox Church in London
A fascinating look at the Russian Orthodox Church abroad through the lens of one imperial embassy church turned self-supporting parish. This history offers perspectives on modern English and European history from the vantage point of a little known minority community, supported by translations of primary sources not found anywhere else.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653363755 pages
- AvailableHardback9780884653813755 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653837755 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653820755 pages
The Struggle for Virtue
Asceticism in a Modern Secular Society
Archbishop Averky addresses head on the question, “What is asceticism?” He counters the many false understandings that exist and shows that the practice of authentic asceticism is integral to the spiritual life and the path to blessed communion with God.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653738194 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653752194 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653745194 pages
Recollections of Jerusalem
Anya Derrick’s life has been intimately connected to the earthly city of Jerusalem in Palestine where she was raised in the spirit of Holy Russia, as manifested in the life of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission, the Mount of Olives and Gethsemane convents, as well as the Bethany School. These recollections also offer a window into the struggles and aspirations of the Russian diaspora after the Communist takeover of the ancestral homeland. It shows how events such as the Russian revolution, its aftermath, and the Arab–Israeli conflict have shaped present realities.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653592232 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652748232 pages
- Currently not availableKindle9780884653806232 pages
Meditations on the Divine Liturgy
of the Holy Eastern Orthodox Catholic and Apostolic Church
Nikolai Gogol was one of the most prominent Russian writers of the 19th century. He was also a deeply religious man, who dedicated one of his last works to the Divine Liturgy of the Orthodox Church. This book provides a commentary on the Divine Liturgy, which is at the same time both mystical and practical. Drawing from the early Church Fathers and his own experience, Gogol explains the sublime mystery of the Liturgy.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653431128 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653639128 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653622128 pages
The Making of Holy Russia
The Orthodox Church and Russian Nationalism before the Revolution
Grounded in original research, this study is intended to reveal the wider relevance of its topic to an ongoing discussion of the relationship between national or ethnic identities on the one hand and the self-understanding of Orthodox Christianity as a universal and transformative Faith on the other.
- AvailablePaperback9781942699279356 pages
- Out of printPaperback9780884653295339 pages
- Out of printHardback9780884653462339 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653486339 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653479339 pages
A Life in Spiritual Continuity with Pre-revolutionary Russia
The life of a twentieth century spiritual elder based on the recollections of many contemporary figures who knew him, including Patriarch Ilia of Georgia and Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev) of Volokolamsk.
Elder Zenobius was a spiritual son of the last elders of the pre-revolutionary Glinsk Hermitage, who suffered in the Soviet camps and lived as a simple monk, before becoming a metropolitan in the Georgian Orthodox Church. His life is a witness to the continuance of God’s Grace in His Church amidst the upheavals and sufferings of the twentieth century. More information.
- Out of printPaperback9780884653318120 pages
- Currently not availableKindle9780884653516120 pages
- Currently not availableEPUB9780884653509120 pages
Indication of the Way into the Kingdom of Heaven
An Introduction to Christian Life
This introduction to what it means to be a Christian appeals both to the heart and mind of its readers. Its timelessness and universality are beyond dispute as it has been in print continually in English for sixty years and for nearly 180 years in its original Aleut and then Russian language editions. This new edition includes "Points for Reflection" that can be used both by an individual reader and for a group study.
Click here for further information.
- AvailablePaperback978088465303596 pages
- AvailableKindle978088465305996 pages
- AvailableEPUB978088465003496 pages
Руководство к изучению Священнаго Писания Новаго Завета. Часть I: Четвероевангелие
This classic textbook contains sober, patristic explanations of every event in the four Christian Gospels in a harmonized chronology. Based on the teachings and tradition of the Eastern Orthodox Church, this book has become a standard text for study of the New Testament in Holy Trinity Seminary.
- AvailablePaperback9780317292992352 pages
Herman A Wilderness Saint
From Sarov, Russia to Kodiak, Alaska
The memory of St Herman, canonized in 1970, has spread well beyond Alaska. This new work brings to light primary sources that illuminate the story of St Herman and the wider context of the history of Russian colonization in the Pacific northwest. Click here for more details.
- AvailablePaperback9780884651925264 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652052257 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653042257 pages
Guidelines for Spiritual and Monastic Life
This is one of the most important and accessible texts of Orthodox Christian teaching on the spiritual life. Click here for further details....
- AvailablePaperback9780884652878311 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652885310 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652892310 pages
Trials at the Crossroads of Eternity
In this third volume of St Ignatius’s collected works, published here in English for the first time, the saint examines the mystical boundaries that govern the life of a Christian: the one, between life and death; and the other, between the visible, physical realm and the invisible to most, but no less real, spiritual realm.
- ForthcomingPaperback9780884654933328 pages
What God Has Done for Our Salvation
This edition offers a collection of chapters from his classic work "The Spiritual Exercises", translated into English from a Russian edition. Chapters include "On the Greatness of the Divine Eucharist.", "The Denial of Peter" and "Our Sins and Ingratitude Towards God."
- AvailablePaperback978088465138395 pages