Christian communities & monasticism
Fool-for-Christ's-Sake. Ascetic and Visionary of the Kiev-Caves Lavra
A life of this ascetic and visionary of the Kiev Caves Lavra. Considered by some to be the model for the character of the holy fool in the popular Russian film "Ostrov" (The Island).
This book is printed on demand and therefore, customers who are resellers will receive a lower (short) discount on this title.
- AvailablePaperback9780884650577134 pages
This edition offers a collection of chapters from his classic work "The Spiritual Exercises", translated into English from a Russian edition. Chapters include "On the Greatness of the Divine Eucharist.", "The Denial of Peter" and "Our Sins and Ingratitude Towards God."
- AvailablePaperback978088465138395 pages
Profitable Instructions for Laymen and Monastics
Originally published in Russian in 1910, this volume is made up of 382 letters of spiritual counsel by the Optina Elder Hieroschemamonk Anatoly (Zertsalov) to nuns. Includes the life of St. Anatoly, a glossary, an index of topics, and a table of letters.
- AvailablePaperback9780884650539308 pages
Guidelines for Spiritual and Monastic Life
This is one of the most important and accessible texts of Orthodox Christian teaching on the spiritual life. Click here for further details....
- AvailablePaperback9780884652878311 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652885310 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652892310 pages
The Three Hundred Year History of a Russian Orthodox Church in London
A fascinating look at the Russian Orthodox Church abroad through the lens of one imperial embassy church turned self-supporting parish. This history offers perspectives on modern English and European history from the vantage point of a little known minority community, supported by translations of primary sources not found anywhere else.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653363755 pages
- AvailableHardback9780884653813755 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653820755 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653837755 pages
Stories of Unexpected Grace
In a manner reminiscent of the bestselling "Everyday Saints" these tales by renowned author Olesia Nikolaeva eveal a common theme - the subtle, sometimes imperceptible movement of Divine Providence at work in the lives of saints and sinners alike.
- AvailablePaperback9780884654230320 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884654667320 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884654674320 pages
From Siberia to Sydney
The history of the Russian Orthodox Church in Australia is diligently chronicled within the context of a modern culturally diverse society, drawing on extensive archival sources and the author's own life experience. First published in 2006 this new edition includes a substantive new chapter recounting the ongoing story from 2000 through to the end of 2020.
- AvailablePaperback9781942699347536 pages
- Currently not availableEPUB9781942699460
- Currently not availableKindle9781942699477
The Thousand Year History of St Panteleimon's
This is the first detailed history of the Russian presence on the Holy Mountain of Athos that traces it back over one thousand years. It will be invaluable to both historians and the general educated reader. The text is complemented by a timeline, glossary, comprehensive bibliography, index, full-color illustrations and photographs.
- AvailablePaperback9781942699309280 pages
and the Rule of St. Elizabeth the New Martyr
This short work sets forth in the Grand Duchess's own words her vision for monastic life in inner city early twentieth century Moscow. Of interest to all who have a concern for the poor and outcasts of society. Well illustrated with black and white photos.
- AvailablePamphlet978088465045454 pages
Spiritual Counsels of the Holy Elders of Optina
The Optina monastery, south of Moscow, was in many ways the greatest spiritual center of nineteenth-century Russia. Here we are offered wisdom from the Elders of that time in the form of pithy thoughts organized thematically under headings.
- AvailableHardback9780884650928205 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653684205 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653691205 pages