Orthodox & Oriental Churches
Beginning with an appeal to live a Christian life, the writer goes on to explain how we should conduct ourselves in happiness, misfortune, wealth, poverty, illness and so forth. All this is described as we are taken through a standard day from waking up in the morning until retiring to bed.
- AvailablePaperback9780884650898150 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653677150 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653660150 pages
Quick to Hear
This small but expansive work is a window into churchly culture as the reader is drawn into the journey of the Mt. Athos Icon of the Mother of God "Quick to Hear" to Russia in 1877. Through God's grace a new and distinct icon emerged, now recognized as the Nevskaya Icon of the Mother of God "Quick to Hear."
- AvailablePaperback978088465185796 pages
An Introduction to Christian Life
This introduction to what it means to be a Christian appeals both to the heart and mind of its readers. Its timelessness and universality are beyond dispute as it has been in print continually in English for sixty years and for nearly 180 years in its original Aleut and then Russian language editions. This new edition includes "Points for Reflection" that can be used both by an individual reader and for a group study.
Click here for further information.
- AvailablePaperback978088465303596 pages
- AvailableKindle978088465305996 pages
- AvailableEPUB978088465003496 pages
Counsels on the Particular Duties of Every Christian
Saint Tikhon of Zadonsk gives his counsel on living the Christian life. It touches many areas from "Love of God" to "The Way of Duty". The translator writes: "I have found this book to repay each reading with refreshment of spirit and a strengthened resolve to lead a Christian life."
- AvailablePaperback9780884650461279 pages
For Study at Home and School
The classic textbook designed for parents to teach their children "all the fundamental points of the Orthodox Christian faith and way of life." Well illustrated with photographs and icons.
- AvailableHardback9780884650447651 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653578651 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653561651 pages
An accessible and well organized synthesis of the ancient Christian understanding of death and the afterlife. Drawing primary from the Greek language writings of the Fathers it does not neglect the Latin sources. It will benefit all who desire to understand the classical Christian teaching of what lies beyond our temporal life.
- AvailablePaperback9780884654773290 pages
- Currently not availableEPUB9780884654834
The story of one of Russia's best known "fools for Christ," is followed by testimonies to her many miracles. The question of the time of her birth and death and the construction of the Chapel by her grave in the Smolensk cemetery in St. Petersburg is also discussed.
- Out of printPamphlet978088465000379 pages
Satisfying the Thirst for Happiness
In this classic early twentieth century text a little known Russian philosopher and theologian addresses the question of how one obtains happiness, peace and joy; and offers answers rooted in the tradition of the Orthodox Christian East and the lives of its sainted Christian men and women. More Information.
- AvailablePaperback9780884651871280 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652311280 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884651994280 pages
Principles for the Christian Journey
In this short but incisive treatise, formerly published as On the Law of God, the reader is guided on a spiritual journey that begins with the awakening of conscience and the realization of the presence of both sin and virtue in the world, culminating in a union with God: that is “a living, personal relationship with the one we love.”
- AvailablePaperback9780884654438176 pages
Spiritual Instruction from St Anatoly (Zertsalov) of Optina
This work includes three hundred and eighty-two letters of spiritual counsel from the Optina Elder Hieroschemamonk Anatoly (Zertsalov). Written in a tone that is both firm and tender, they are the words of a caring father for his spiritual children These letters, while originally addressed to nuns, can be applied with profit to all Christians, both monastic and lay. This digital edition includes four photos as well as the life of St. Anatoly, a glossary, an index of topics, and a table of letters.
- AvailableEPUB9780884654179308 pages
- Currently not availableKindle9780884654209308 pages
Spiritual Counsels of the Holy Elders of Optina
The Optina monastery, south of Moscow, was in many ways the greatest spiritual center of nineteenth-century Russia. Here we are offered wisdom from the Elders of that time in the form of pithy thoughts organized thematically under headings.
- AvailableHardback9780884650928205 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653691205 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653684205 pages
The Orthodox Church and Russian Nationalism before the Revolution
Grounded in original research, this study is intended to reveal the wider relevance of its topic to an ongoing discussion of the relationship between national or ethnic identities on the one hand and the self-understanding of Orthodox Christianity as a universal and transformative Faith on the other.
- Out of printPaperback9780884653295339 pages
- AvailablePaperback9781942699279356 pages
- Out of printHardback9780884653462339 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653486339 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653479339 pages
This book begins with a discussion of the nature and origin of Divine services. It then reviews the building in which these are performed, the articles used and offers an outline of the varying services, concluding with an overview of the texts employed.
- AvailablePaperback9780884650676176 pages