RELIGION / Christianity / Orthodox
The Three Hundred Year History of a Russian Orthodox Church in London
A fascinating look at the Russian Orthodox Church abroad through the lens of one imperial embassy church turned self-supporting parish. This history offers perspectives on modern English and European history from the vantage point of a little known minority community, supported by translations of primary sources not found anywhere else.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653363755 pages
- AvailableHardback9780884653813755 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653820755 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653837755 pages
Anya Derrick’s life has been intimately connected to the earthly city of Jerusalem in Palestine where she was raised in the spirit of Holy Russia, as manifested in the life of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission, the Mount of Olives and Gethsemane convents, as well as the Bethany School. These recollections also offer a window into the struggles and aspirations of the Russian diaspora after the Communist takeover of the ancestral homeland. It shows how events such as the Russian revolution, its aftermath, and the Arab–Israeli conflict have shaped present realities.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653592232 pages
- Currently not availableKindle9780884653806232 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652748232 pages
of the Holy Eastern Orthodox Catholic and Apostolic Church
Nikolai Gogol was one of the most prominent Russian writers of the 19th century. He was also a deeply religious man, who dedicated one of his last works to the Divine Liturgy of the Orthodox Church. This book provides a commentary on the Divine Liturgy, which is at the same time both mystical and practical. Drawing from the early Church Fathers and his own experience, Gogol explains the sublime mystery of the Liturgy.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653431128 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653639128 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653622128 pages
The Orthodox Church and Russian Nationalism before the Revolution
Grounded in original research, this study is intended to reveal the wider relevance of its topic to an ongoing discussion of the relationship between national or ethnic identities on the one hand and the self-understanding of Orthodox Christianity as a universal and transformative Faith on the other.
- AvailablePaperback9781942699279356 pages
- Out of printPaperback9780884653295339 pages
- Out of printHardback9780884653462339 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653486339 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653479339 pages
Profitable Instructions for Laymen and Monastics
Originally published in Russian in 1910, this volume is made up of 382 letters of spiritual counsel by the Optina Elder Hieroschemamonk Anatoly (Zertsalov) to nuns. Includes the life of St. Anatoly, a glossary, an index of topics, and a table of letters.
- AvailablePaperback9780884650539308 pages
This is a collection of essays by one of the giants of the twentieth century Russian emigration. Subjects include biblical criticism, Sophianism, Toll-houses, serving in the Church, liturgical theology and much more.
- AvailablePaperback9780884651451242 pages
A service and Akathist to St. John, Archbishop of Shanghai and San Francisco. In Church Slavonic.
This book is printed on demand and therefore, customers who are resellers will receive a lower (short) discount on this title.
- AvailablePaperback978088465069062 pages
Quick to Hear
This small but expansive work is a window into churchly culture as the reader is drawn into the journey of the Mt. Athos Icon of the Mother of God "Quick to Hear" to Russia in 1877. Through God's grace a new and distinct icon emerged, now recognized as the Nevskaya Icon of the Mother of God "Quick to Hear."
- AvailablePaperback978088465185796 pages
This is a comprehensive grammar of the Church Slavonic language, covering etymology, parts of speech, and syntax. This English edition was translated from the Russian and includes an explanation of grammatical points that would be taken for granted by a native Russian speaker.
This book is printed in small numbers and therefore, customers who are resellers will receive a lower (short) discount on this title.
- AvailablePaperback9780884650645438 pages
The Life of Father Ilarion
Psalm 111:6 reminds us that "in everlasting remembrance shall the Righteous be." This book celebrates this injunction in its vivid portrayal of a modern elder of the Russian Orthodox Church and monk of the Glinsk monastery.
- Out of printPaperback9780884651895216 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652304216 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652076216 pages
Satisfying the Thirst for Happiness
In this classic early twentieth century text a little known Russian philosopher and theologian addresses the question of how one obtains happiness, peace and joy; and offers answers rooted in the tradition of the Orthodox Christian East and the lives of its sainted Christian men and women. More Information.
- AvailablePaperback9780884651871280 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652311280 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884651994280 pages
A Siberian Life
“My children! I am giving you these writings of mine describing my life as a testament that you may work harder for God than I worked for Him...”
This memoir of the Altai tribesman Mikhail Chelvalkov will enrapture the reader with its directness & beauty whilst also providing invaluable insights for students of Christian mission, ethnography, and geography.
- AvailablePaperback9780884651840168 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652328168 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652045168 pages