Living a Christian Life
Beginning with an appeal to live a Christian life, the writer goes on to explain how we should conduct ourselves in happiness, misfortune, wealth, poverty, illness and so forth. All this is described as we are taken through a standard day from waking up in the morning until retiring to bed.
- AvailablePaperback9780884650898150 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653660150 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653677150 pages
The Nous in Dostoevsky's Ridiculous Man
Dostoevsky’s short story The Dream of a Ridiculous Man tells of a transformation of the heart and a journey from despair to joy: a joy that can be known by all through the experience of God that transcends a simply rational discourse.
- AvailablePaperback9781942699125160 pages
- AvailableKindle9781942699231160 pages
- AvailableEPUB9781942699224160 pages
The Teaching of Fr. Ilarion
A wealth of spiritual instruction is to be found in this selection of teachings given by Fr. Ilarion between 1966 and 2008. The sermons are based on specific feast days and commemorations in the Church year. Regarding the need for spiritual food Fr. Ilarion said, "We must never lose our taste for it; rather, for us it must be the sweetness, the joy, and the warmth of the Holy Spirit.” More Information
- AvailablePaperback9780884651901240 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652069240 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652472240 pages
Asceticism in a Modern Secular Society
Archbishop Averky addresses head on the question, “What is asceticism?” He counters the many false understandings that exist and shows that the practice of authentic asceticism is integral to the spiritual life and the path to blessed communion with God.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653738194 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653745194 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653752194 pages
A Series of Lectures on the Mystery of Repentance
This is a classic work of pastoral theology. Whilst written primarily as a manual for priests hearing confessions it is also of great value to all who struggle with the passions.
- AvailablePaperback9780884650058112 pages
Conforming the Will of Man to the Will of God
Saint John addresses fundamental questions: Why should we care about God’s will ? What are the benefits in following His will? How do we avoid common obstacles to living in accordance with His will? The reader will find practical and eternal wisdom running through these writings that discuss the perennial questions of why a good God permits evil. This is the first English edition of St John’s text, edited and abbreviated for the contemporary reader.
- AvailablePaperback9780884654605352 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884654698352 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884654704352 pages
Guidelines for Spiritual and Monastic Life
This is one of the most important and accessible texts of Orthodox Christian teaching on the spiritual life. Click here for further details....
- AvailablePaperback9780884652878311 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652885310 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652892310 pages
Spiritual Advice for Daily Living
Abbess Arsenia’s counsels are steeped in Holy Scripture and in the inspiration that she draws from the services of the Orthodox Church. Throughout, she emphasizes the need to humble oneself, discern the will of God, and fulfill it through every moment of our life.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653974110 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884654131110 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884654148110 pages
Profitable Instructions for Laymen and Monastics
Originally published in Russian in 1910, this volume is made up of 382 letters of spiritual counsel by the Optina Elder Hieroschemamonk Anatoly (Zertsalov) to nuns. Includes the life of St. Anatoly, a glossary, an index of topics, and a table of letters.
- AvailablePaperback9780884650539308 pages
On Acquiring Peace Amidst Suffering
St Ignatius Brianchaninov (1807-1867) struggled with chronic illness and disability through most of his adult life. Thus his own life experience disposed him to reflect on the meaning of suffering and how through it we might find “a harbor for our hope.” His letters, excerpted and organized here thematically, will equally benefit all who suffer.
- AvailablePaperback9780884654223192 pages
Confronting Our Moral Crisis
This volume gathers responses of a wide array of Orthodox Christian scholars and writers to the moral crisis our world faces. Collectively, the authors remind us that it is only through our participation in the life of Christ that we can find the healing of our humanity through the restoration of His image in us.
- ForthcomingPaperback9781942699293192 pages
- AvailableKindle9781942699323192 pages
- AvailableEPUB9781942699316192 pages
Spiritual Counsels of the Holy Elders of Optina
The Optina monastery, south of Moscow, was in many ways the greatest spiritual center of nineteenth-century Russia. Here we are offered wisdom from the Elders of that time in the form of pithy thoughts organized thematically under headings.
- AvailableHardback9780884650928205 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653684205 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653691205 pages
Spiritual Instruction from St Anatoly (Zertsalov) of Optina
This work includes three hundred and eighty-two letters of spiritual counsel from the Optina Elder Hieroschemamonk Anatoly (Zertsalov). Written in a tone that is both firm and tender, they are the words of a caring father for his spiritual children These letters, while originally addressed to nuns, can be applied with profit to all Christians, both monastic and lay. This digital edition includes four photos as well as the life of St. Anatoly, a glossary, an index of topics, and a table of letters.
- AvailableEPUB9780884654179308 pages
- Currently not availableKindle9780884654209308 pages