Orthodox & Oriental Churches
Embassy, Emigrants, and Englishmen
The Three Hundred Year History of a Russian Orthodox Church in London
A fascinating look at the Russian Orthodox Church abroad through the lens of one imperial embassy church turned self-supporting parish. This history offers perspectives on modern English and European history from the vantage point of a little known minority community, supported by translations of primary sources not found anywhere else.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653363755 pages
- AvailableHardback9780884653813755 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653837755 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653820755 pages
The Struggle for Virtue
Asceticism in a Modern Secular Society
Archbishop Averky addresses head on the question, “What is asceticism?” He counters the many false understandings that exist and shows that the practice of authentic asceticism is integral to the spiritual life and the path to blessed communion with God.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653738194 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653745194 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653752194 pages
Recollections of Jerusalem
Anya Derrick’s life has been intimately connected to the earthly city of Jerusalem in Palestine where she was raised in the spirit of Holy Russia, as manifested in the life of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission, the Mount of Olives and Gethsemane convents, as well as the Bethany School. These recollections also offer a window into the struggles and aspirations of the Russian diaspora after the Communist takeover of the ancestral homeland. It shows how events such as the Russian revolution, its aftermath, and the Arab–Israeli conflict have shaped present realities.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653592232 pages
- Currently not availableKindle9780884653806232 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652748232 pages
Meditations on the Divine Liturgy
of the Holy Eastern Orthodox Catholic and Apostolic Church
Nikolai Gogol was one of the most prominent Russian writers of the 19th century. He was also a deeply religious man, who dedicated one of his last works to the Divine Liturgy of the Orthodox Church. This book provides a commentary on the Divine Liturgy, which is at the same time both mystical and practical. Drawing from the early Church Fathers and his own experience, Gogol explains the sublime mystery of the Liturgy.
- AvailablePaperback9780884653431128 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653639128 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653622128 pages
The Making of Holy Russia
The Orthodox Church and Russian Nationalism before the Revolution
Grounded in original research, this study is intended to reveal the wider relevance of its topic to an ongoing discussion of the relationship between national or ethnic identities on the one hand and the self-understanding of Orthodox Christianity as a universal and transformative Faith on the other.
- AvailablePaperback9781942699279356 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653486339 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653479339 pages
Indication of the Way into the Kingdom of Heaven
An Introduction to Christian Life
This introduction to what it means to be a Christian appeals both to the heart and mind of its readers. Its timelessness and universality are beyond dispute as it has been in print continually in English for sixty years and for nearly 180 years in its original Aleut and then Russian language editions. This new edition includes "Points for Reflection" that can be used both by an individual reader and for a group study.
Click here for further information.
- AvailablePaperback978088465303596 pages
- AvailableKindle978088465305996 pages
- AvailableEPUB978088465003496 pages
Herman A Wilderness Saint
From Sarov, Russia to Kodiak, Alaska
The memory of St Herman, canonized in 1970, has spread well beyond Alaska. This new work brings to light primary sources that illuminate the story of St Herman and the wider context of the history of Russian colonization in the Pacific northwest. Click here for more details.
- AvailablePaperback9780884651925264 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653042257 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652052257 pages
The Unabbreviated Horologion or Book of the Hours
One of the most important service books of the Orthodox Church. In traditional English using the Psalter as translated by Holy Transfiguration Monastery. This book has the fixed texts for all the daily services of the Orthodox Church.
- AvailableHardback9780884653714408 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653127408 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653134408 pages
Guidelines for Spiritual and Monastic Life
This is one of the most important and accessible texts of Orthodox Christian teaching on the spiritual life. Click here for further details....
- AvailablePaperback9780884652878311 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652892310 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652885310 pages
Beacon of Hope
The Teaching of Fr. Ilarion
A wealth of spiritual instruction is to be found in this selection of teachings given by Fr. Ilarion between 1966 and 2008. The sermons are based on specific feast days and commemorations in the Church year. Regarding the need for spiritual food Fr. Ilarion said, "We must never lose our taste for it; rather, for us it must be the sweetness, the joy, and the warmth of the Holy Spirit.” More Information
- AvailableKindle9780884652472240 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652069240 pages
Eternal Mysteries Beyond the Grave
This book offers many examples of the awareness of the life beyond death and in so doing offers the clear hope of a growth in life “beyond the grave” of this temporal existence. Click here to see the complete Table of Contents and further details....
- AvailablePaperback9780884652120368 pages
A Psalter for Prayer
An Adaptation of the Classic Miles Coverdale Translation
The Psalms have been at the heart of Christian prayer from the very beginning, but this Psalter is the first major English edition to include all the prayers needed to read the Psalter at home according to an Orthodox tradition that reaches back to the time of the desert fathers, known popularly as the 'cell rule.’
- AvailableHardback9780884654742384 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652342368 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884651987368 pages
A Champion of Good
The Life of Father Ilarion
Psalm 111:6 reminds us that "in everlasting remembrance shall the Righteous be." This book celebrates this injunction in its vivid portrayal of a modern elder of the Russian Orthodox Church and monk of the Glinsk monastery.
- AvailableKindle9780884652304216 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652076216 pages
The Order of Holy Matrimony
Translated from the Book of Needs
A traditional English translation of the marriage service as celebrated in the Orthodox Church. It includes the betrothal, the crowning, and the removal of the crowns. This booklet has the texts for all the participants: priest, deacon, and chanter. It will also allow wedding guests to follow the service.
- AvailablePamphlet978088465208330 pages