Orthodox & Oriental Churches
An Introduction to Christian Life
This introduction to what it means to be a Christian appeals both to the heart and mind of its readers. Its timelessness and universality are beyond dispute as it has been in print continually in English for sixty years and for nearly 180 years in its original Aleut and then Russian language editions. This new edition includes "Points for Reflection" that can be used both by an individual reader and for a group study.
Click here for further information.
- AvailablePaperback978088465303596 pages
- AvailableEPUB978088465003496 pages
- AvailableKindle978088465305996 pages
From Sarov, Russia to Kodiak, Alaska
The memory of St Herman, canonized in 1970, has spread well beyond Alaska. This new work brings to light primary sources that illuminate the story of St Herman and the wider context of the history of Russian colonization in the Pacific northwest. Click here for more details.
- AvailablePaperback9780884651925264 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652052257 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653042257 pages
One of the most important service books of the Orthodox Church. In traditional English using the Psalter as translated by Holy Transfiguration Monastery. This book has the fixed texts for all the daily services of the Orthodox Church.
- AvailableHardback9780884653714408 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884653127408 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884653134408 pages
Guidelines for Spiritual and Monastic Life
This is one of the most important and accessible texts of Orthodox Christian teaching on the spiritual life. Click here for further details....
- AvailablePaperback9780884652878311 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652892310 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652885310 pages
The Teaching of Fr. Ilarion
A wealth of spiritual instruction is to be found in this selection of teachings given by Fr. Ilarion between 1966 and 2008. The sermons are based on specific feast days and commemorations in the Church year. Regarding the need for spiritual food Fr. Ilarion said, "We must never lose our taste for it; rather, for us it must be the sweetness, the joy, and the warmth of the Holy Spirit.” More Information
- AvailableKindle9780884652472240 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652069240 pages
This book offers many examples of the awareness of the life beyond death and in so doing offers the clear hope of a growth in life “beyond the grave” of this temporal existence. Click here to see the complete Table of Contents and further details....
- AvailablePaperback9780884652120368 pages
An Adaptation of the Classic Miles Coverdale Translation
The Psalms have been at the heart of Christian prayer from the very beginning, but this Psalter is the first major English edition to include all the prayers needed to read the Psalter at home according to an Orthodox tradition that reaches back to the time of the desert fathers, known popularly as the 'cell rule.’
- AvailableHardback9780884654742384 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652342368 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884651987368 pages
The Life of Father Ilarion
Psalm 111:6 reminds us that "in everlasting remembrance shall the Righteous be." This book celebrates this injunction in its vivid portrayal of a modern elder of the Russian Orthodox Church and monk of the Glinsk monastery.
- AvailableKindle9780884652304216 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652076216 pages
Translated from the Book of Needs
A traditional English translation of the marriage service as celebrated in the Orthodox Church. It includes the betrothal, the crowning, and the removal of the crowns. This booklet has the texts for all the participants: priest, deacon, and chanter. It will also allow wedding guests to follow the service.
- AvailablePamphlet978088465208330 pages
Satisfying the Thirst for Happiness
In this classic early twentieth century text a little known Russian philosopher and theologian addresses the question of how one obtains happiness, peace and joy; and offers answers rooted in the tradition of the Orthodox Christian East and the lives of its sainted Christian men and women. More Information.
- AvailablePaperback9780884651871280 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652311280 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884651994280 pages
This handbook will encourage the laity who desire to enter more fully into an understanding of the Church’s Typicon, the “rule” which governs how Divine worship is offered in the church, and to internalize the principles that underpin it.
It is an invaluable guide to all who seek “to celebrate a service in splendor.” More Information
- AvailablePaperback9780884651918168 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652335168 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652038168 pages
A Siberian Life
“My children! I am giving you these writings of mine describing my life as a testament that you may work harder for God than I worked for Him...”
This memoir of the Altai tribesman Mikhail Chelvalkov will enrapture the reader with its directness & beauty whilst also providing invaluable insights for students of Christian mission, ethnography, and geography.
- AvailablePaperback9780884651840168 pages
- AvailableKindle9780884652328168 pages
- AvailableEPUB9780884652045168 pages
Quick to Hear
This small but expansive work is a window into churchly culture as the reader is drawn into the journey of the Mt. Athos Icon of the Mother of God "Quick to Hear" to Russia in 1877. Through God's grace a new and distinct icon emerged, now recognized as the Nevskaya Icon of the Mother of God "Quick to Hear."
- AvailablePaperback978088465185796 pages
To Our Saviour, the Holy Spirit, the Mother of God, and Various Saints
An invaluable year round devotional resource. Contains Akathist hymns for the Ascension and Nativity of Christ, an Akathist to the Holy Spirit, for seven different icons of the Mother of God, and for various Saints. (See detailed description.)
- AvailableHardback9780884651413466 pages